Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Like to Move It Move It

For the 3 of you who would like to know, I'm happy to share what kind of exercise I do or how I fit in working out during my day. We are all so busy, right?


When Jason and I got married I told him two things were big priorities in my life. If I didn't do these things I would be extremely cranky and not myself. The first was spend time with the LORD and the second was working out. Almost ten years later it's still true.


Working out clears my head and makes me feel stronger. I like setting goals. I make healthier food chooses when I'm consistently exercising. I like plenty of sweets, but thankfully I also love fruits and veggies. I'm not picky. I could be a vegetarian, but I like chicken too much. ; )


It also helps me with our boys. I'm more positive and have more energy to keep up with them. They are in constant motion from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed (as many of your kids are)! Except for those blessed naps/quiet time. ; ) 


The most important thing is to find something you enjoy. This is key! If you don't like it you won't make it a part of your life. I was in a huge rut last winter, and that is one reason why I started playing tennis. It had always been on my "to do" list, but it hit me at that point "Why was I waiting?" So I jumped in and just fell in love.


I knew absolutely nothing about it, and it's a great challenge for me. I take lessons once a week and also go to a cardio tennis class offered at our gym.


When I'm feeling really dedicated I'll get up early two days during the week. I never ever ever thought I could do this, but I was determined after Colson was born to lose some weight so that helped!


On average I exercise five days a week. I'll do cardio or play tennis three days and do weights/abs the other two days. Each of my workouts is 45 minutes to an hour.


My week looks something like this: 


*Monday and Thursdays are my early days. I go to the gym around 6 then come home to take the boys to school by nine. On Mondays I  do cardio for 30 minutes (run around the track, elliptical machine, or stair climber) and then do abs.


*Tuesday and Thursday I lift weights, do lunges, abs, and the stair climber. I never really did weights until one year ago because I was afraid they would bulk me up. Ha! Now I feel they have helped tone my muscles, and I can definitely tell a difference. So don't be afraid to try new things!


*Wednesday and Friday I do cardio tennis.


If I miss a day I'll try to make it up during the weekend.


It also really helps that the boys love our gym. I feel like sometimes people there are our close friends because we see them so much. The childcare workers love our boys, and there is so much for them to do to get some energy out, too.

The gym recently got some new machines, and I can check my email, blog, get on facebook, anything! It's wild. 
If you're not a member of a gym there is still countless things you can do. I didn't take Z or Colson there until they were 3 to 6 months old, so I would run around our neighborhood after Jason got home then do abs and leg lifts (ha!) at our house. You just have to get creative sometimes!

I hope this helps. For our family it's making exercise a part of our daily lives. My dad talked me into encouraged me to run a 5K with him when I was eleven, and he hasn't stopped. ; ) Just yesterday he was asking me about a race, and I love that. So really his love for exercise just rubbed off on me.


But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead...


Philippians 3:13

15 comments:

Mallory said...

You are one hot mama! ;) I love that your gym has machines you can be online with! SO COOL! I go every morning to run or do weights, but our machines are nowhere near that cool. :)

ashley said...

seriously? a machine where I could check blogs while working out?? that's fun!

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing this! I've always wondered what kind of work outs you did or if you were just blessed like that! :) My dad also motivates me to workout.
I'm expecting Baby #2 and haven't felt like exercising. I have lots of work to do after May!! This inspired me.

Mama Bear said...

The gym is my happy place too! I agree that I feel I am a much better Mom when I am exercising regularly. My gym time, well, mostly my running time is my Me time where I talk with God and leave my worries on the pavement and move on. It has helped me get through a lot of depressing times without taking medication. I love it!!

Emily said...

Sound like a great workout... what about eating habits and tips for maintaining a healthy diet?? :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing. As a working mommy it's hard to find that time. Thankfully my employer has a gym located in our office...so it helps to get up there and run. our office is also located right across the street for Centennial Park in Nashville...so once the weather is nice it's a great run. you need to check out running the Music City Marathon. It's a half or you can chose the full marathon in Nashville. This year it's April 28th. Great course...but full of hills!!!

Camille said...

I just searched your blog for workout tips recently! I thought you had posted some before. I am starting back to exercising after letting college weight creep up.

You look like a very fit mama! Hopefully I can have your dedication to working out :)

I was also was wondering what type of exercise program Jason follows?

Kristen said...

I searched your blog to see if you posted your workouts before, but never found anything. So, thank you for posting this. :)

The Titsworth Family said...

Oh how I love my gym time too! If I don't get to run for a couple of days I get sooo grumpy! It definitely makes me a better mommy and person when I exercise.

Those new machines look awesome! I've never seen those. Glad you are enjoying tennis. I played some in high school and loved it!

Miranda said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this :) I'm CURRENTLY trying to get in shape :) I've been eating healthy.. doing boot camp classes and taking AdvoCare. I'm feeling SO GOOD these days!! One thing I'm struggling with is structure. I feel like I have NONE. I'm having a hard time coming up with a good workout schedule and home schedule. Reading this has given me some motivation to keep on truckin'! I think you're an absolutely beautiful girl with a KICKIN' body! I'd love to have your fitness savy body! Maybe someday :) So glad I have a positive, christian role model like you to follow! Thanks for being so real! :)

And seriously - can I get one of those machines for my HOUSE?!?!?! SO NICE! ha!

Maryellen said...

Good for you Katie. Exercise and I have never had a good relationship. hah

But I'm slowing understanding the importance of it and even enjoying the times I do make the effort.

You are an encouragement.

Mara said...

Somehow it is so nice to know that you work hard to look like you do:) I love your gym. It would be fun to drop the kids off. Plus, I bet sometimes you love just getting them out of the house for a bit. We have a home gym so I really can't justify the cost to my husband:(, but this really does help my motivation. Putting down my truffles...

katie said...

I'm so glad you wrote this post! Lots of great info and totally agree about making exercise a priority! I need to kick up my exercises from around 3 days a week to 5 and maybe increase my time a little more.

My gym just got those internet screens, but I haven't tried them yet. Reading blogs would be a great way to pass the time!

Sarah said...

You deserve to be so insanely gorgeous for all that hard work. Man, you may have just inspired me to get moving again!

busanalayali said...

thanks for your help. Your blog contain lots of information for many people..
Baju Muslim

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved