Sunday, January 19, 2014

Homemade Bread Recipe

A few of ya'll have asked about my homemade bread recipe. It's actually my mom's, and I'm happy to share!

2 c. milk
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. Crisco
2 pkg. yeast into 1/4 c. lukewarm water

Heat enough to melt shortening. Pour into crock and add 2 cups cold water. When lukewarm, pour in yeast mixture and add enough flour (around 6 cups) to make batter. Let rise (45 to 60 minutes).

Add to first mixture:

5 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Combine and add a little flour (1/2 cup). Stir well and add enough flour (1 to 2 cups) to make stiff dough. Put a couple of large mixing spoonfuls in each greased pan. Let rise (approx. 25 minutes). 

Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn down to 300 and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 3 to 4 loaves.

Let me know if you have any questions!

...pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

1 Timothy 6:11

5 comments:

belle said...

Yum! Bread that's made in a crockpot?!?!?!? How awesome is that?

Unknown said...

Katie- I made your bread recipe yesterday. It was super easy and yummy! It was a great activity on a day off from school. Thanks for sharing!

abxmomof3 said...

Katie, I am SO glad you posted this recipe!! I was just thinking of sending a note to your mom for this recipe!! I remember her bringing homemade bread to Ginny's house all the time...it is the BEST!!! I sure do miss Aunt Ella, Edna Earle, and MamaGin...some very special women that meant the world to me!!

Victoria Driver Heydenreich

Katie said...

Belle, the bread is not made in a crockpot. ; )

Anna, I'm so glad it turned out well! That's great you gave it a try!

Victoria, ahh they meant the world to me, too!

Katherine said...

love your blog, Katie! too cute :)

hope you'll check out mine, too!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved