Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chalkboard Project

So for another little project in Zach's room I painted over a picture we already had. We bought it ten years ago when we moved into our first house.

I was completely over the apples. ; )

With some advice from Shannon and Jason's help it only took a few weeks! I had lots of interruptions and life to live in between. Ha. First I spray painted the frame white (using one can) then Jason sanded it down a little.

He was thrilled.
This was how he really felt. ; ) He did a great job.
Next I painted a brown chalkboard paint (several coats) over the glass. I had never seen a brown chalkboard color so I was excited to use something different.
Riley had to be involved, too. ; )
I love how it turned out! I can use it for messages or the boys can write on it, too.
I bought a chalkboard pen (Hobby Lobby) and it was so fun and easy to use!

Today is International Bereaved Mother's Day so I wish a very Happy Mother's Day to all the moms who have a little one in Heaven with my Reese. We have a bond no mother should share. So thankful for the hope we have in Christ. You are all very close to my heart!

Look, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hand; your walls are continually before Me.

Isaiah 49:16

13 comments:

Mandy said...

Looks awesome! Look at your crafty self!! : )

Love you today and every day!

Mom4Mom said...

Does the chalkboard pen have a dusty residue like regular chalk? I love the idea of painting with chalkboard paint but with my kids allergies I would be crazy to use regular chalk. ;)

Mer said...

So proud too!!! That looks fun!!! miss you:)

Nicole @ Nicole Clark blog said...

I love it! I will be on the lookout for a picture we do not use anymore! Love the pen. I will have to get one.

belle said...

i am so inspired by this! i love the brown chalboard paint idea..... hmmmmm.....

sigh, how did bereaved mother's day sneak up on me? so many babies to miss....

Dianna said...

It turned out great!

Amy said...

that looks great! i love the brown chalkboard paint with the contrast of the white frame! BAI

Katie said...

Mom4Mom, the chalkboard pen does not have any chalk residue. That's another reason why I really liked using it!

Mara said...

That looks really cool!!! I just paid $45 bucks for something similar off etsy...I guess there's a sucker born every minute:))

dody said...

Love it! How did you apply the paint - roller, brush, spray paint? Did you need to use any kind of a primer? Did you have to sand it? Does it erase well? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much!

JMCR FOUNDATION said...

This looks awesome..:)

christians

Katie said...

Dody, I spray painted the frame and used a brush for the chalkboard paint.

I did not prime it.

No sanding was done before I painted anything, but Jason sanded the frame a little bit after the spray paint dried.

I haven't erased anything yet so I don't know. ; )

Jennifer said...

We just did something like this too. But I was worried about leaving the glass in, so we painted over the print because it was soon. However you could also replace the print with any smooth piece of wood or even cardboard and use that. This is just some tips for us worriers! :)

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved